Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Leap Year

I don't want to jinx myself, but I may have found another piece to the respiratory puzzle. Jacob was on prednisone for about ten days and exhibited all of the side effects like roid rage and insatiable hunger. For several days after we stopped the medication, he was still asking to eat about every twenty-minutes. Anyways, he came off of the medicine last Tuesday and off the inhaler every four hours by last Friday. Then we went to a birthday party and I watched as a little boy coughed right into Jacob's face and thought "Oh dear God, here we go again". Sure enough, by Monday morning Jacob was coughing, and sneezing, and had a constant runny nose. He went back on the inhaler every four hours. I could feel the junkiness in his lungs when I held him under his arms. And he woke in the middle of the night as he does whenever he is sick. But now it is Wednesday and he hasn't gotten any worse. Usually I am preparing for a sick day from work by now and deciding whether to take him to the walk-in clinic or to call his pulmonologist. But he is maintaining a cold. I'll have to do some research but I wonder how long the effects of prednisone linger in the body. Has it offered him some protection? Maybe he needs to be on a low maintenance dose during the cold season? No, I am not a doctor but I might as well be.

No comments:

Post a Comment