Saturday, February 19, 2011

Irony

This boy made it through 6 hours of brain surgery without complication. But once he catches a cold, he catches pneumonia. Jacob is in Newport Hospital again. He was restless in his sleep last night and woke up around 1:30 am with a fever, 102.4. He was breathing quick and heavy and had been grunting, which I thought was him trying to poop but I think he was just having trouble breathing. Anyways, I got up and brought him to the ER because I knew he needed to be on antibiotics sooner than later. His overall condition is fine however. He has not spiked another fever since he was admitted and has not needed to be on oxygen. Just antibiotics and breathing treatments every 4 hours. His chest sounds pretty junky. Hopefully we will be discharged tomorrow with clear instructions about how to proceed with his care...

One more thought... I am upset and angry about all of this. I have taken Jacob to the doctor twelve times since October. He has been diagnosed with pneumonia four times and has been hospitalized three times. I know when Jacob is sick just like I knew when he was having seizures. I dedicated a year and a half of my life to annihilating his seizures and even though pneumonia has eluded me, I will kick its ass too. If only it was that "easy".

1 comment: